Today we were racing against the weather to get a survey flight completed.
Every morning I attend the Met Briefing, where a weather forecast is given to anyone whose job depends on the conditions.
The morning was looking really nice, but it was predicted that a brutal easternly wind would pick up around lunchtime. If we were still flying by this time, landing at Rothera again would be problematic!
So we took the decision to get as far as we could, with Pilot Andy remaining in communication with the weather forecaster for any news on changing conditions.
It was a beautiful morning up there.
We managed to complete the whole survey flight, and arrive back just in time for lunch. Just as predicted, the weather completely turned once we got back.